4.27.2012

Meet Mackenzie


Four years ago I learned that I was going to have a baby girl. After life with two loud, rambunctious boys, rather looked forward to a peaceful existence with my daughter.

How naive of me.

The day before my birthday, this new creature entered the world with a mohawk.  After a bit of debate, we settled on the name Mackenzie for this seemed to mirror the spunk of her hairdo.  This name still suits her.

Let me try to explain the phenomenon of Mackenzie.  She has never had much use for baby dolls and barbies, but loves a dress, a pair of tights and “fancy shoes”.  She can wield a light saber as well as any boy and will go on and on about Darth Maul, Darth Sidious and Darth Vader.  (Please note that these are all villains.)  In fact, when playing with her brothers, she names herself “Princess Darth Leia."  That about sums it up.

My sassy girl - as sassy as they get.
She is more independent than I could have ever imagined a person of that size ever being.  She manages to do and get whatever she wants, whenever she wants, not to mention go wherever she wants – down the street, in the neighbor's house, out the store and into the parking lot (with unpaid merchandise).  She doesn't whine, she demands.  She throws, spits, yells and slams doors.  We are all “poo poos.”

We keep soap in the car and a syringe of vinegar in the kitchen.  Her bedroom door sticks, which makes for complete confinement in time-out.  We have spanked, slapped, screamed, threatened  and ignored.  There is no reeling her in.

Of course, I could not live without this little tornado in my life.  When she is not demanding and screaming, she is singing dreamily, laughing heartily and talking a mile a minute.  She is forever telling me she loves me and gushes over how we are both girls. She is confident, smart, full of life and forever entertaining.  I would not wish away any of these qualities which will make her a strong woman, but I just hope I can survive it. 

If you have any similar stories, advice or an escape plan, please share!

Allison Wood Greiner is a high school French teacher, a founding member of Inspired Wining, and mother to three children, including Matthew, who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. 

2 comments:

  1. Stefanie Milroy29.4.12

    Oh my goodness! I am laughing so hard, for this makes my own little tornado of a one year old seem so much more "normal!" haha! This is a glimpse into the future for me I suppose - want to be my mentor? :) And you said it perfectly - all those days where I just want to scream or think "why can't you be like all those sweet little girls who are so passive and quiet" or days I blame Jeff's gene pool for this little tyrant (hehe), I find myself in the same breath saying, "You know what... this is why I love you and why you are going to be a heck of a strong woman someday!" Thanks IW for the "inspiration" yet once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I LOVE the idea of some Mommy Mentoring, although I suppose it happens quite naturally and regularly among women, and especially on wine night! Stefanie, I can't wait to watch your little tornado take off. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete