8.30.2013

Running down a dream


So if you know me in real life, you know that I am not a runner. Until recently, the only reasons I have ever run are to run after my children or to make a run to the grocery store (or wine shop).  But last winter, I decided that I wanted to run the 5K in the annual Miles for Matthew race.  

For years, I’ve worked behind the scenes helping with the race, and I’ve been there on race day to cheer on my husband and friends as they crossed the finish line. However, last winter, I decided that to really show my support for my dear friends and the “marathon” that they are running against Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, I had to get my feet in the game.  
Photo courtesy of westiela.com

Well, as often happens with good intentions, life got in the way. I intended to start training and running in the Winter, then Spring. But, between work, family, volunteering and just getting thru the always present pile of dirty laundry, my goal of training for the race fell by the wayside. I managed to run a few times but then the kids got out of school and my running time came to a screeching halt. I think I ran once or twice in June and July, but I certainly wasn’t able to go the necessary distance. If I continued at that pace, it would take me almost two hours to finish the 5k.  

When my kids started back at school in early August, I decided that I was going to try again. I hit the treadmill in earnest and started a true training plan. I also registered for the race, which sealed the deal. There was no way I was going to back out once my friends and family knew that I had signed up. 

When you start your running career in your 40s, your body has some not-so-subtle ways of letting you know this may not be the best idea. I’ve had to have many pep talks with my knees over the past few weeks. But running this race is not about me; this is about Matthew and all of the other boys and families living with Duchenne. This is about raising awareness and critical research dollars for Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. My training has gone slowly, but I am hopeful that I will be ready come race day.  In 30 days, I will stand at the starting line and run and hope that I am still running when I cross the finish.  

After all, hope starts here.

If you would like to join in the race or make a donation, please visit the Miles for Matthew page. 

Michelle Gauffreau is a founding member of Inspired Wining. She is also a wife, a mother of two and an active volunteer in her community.

No comments:

Post a Comment